Friday, August 18, 2006

The N-Bomb

Yeah thats right... the N-Bomb. And no its not the racial slur referring to Black people that Im talking about. Newfie... to many its an endearing term as unique and special as the people we have a sense and pride in being. However through years of inappropriate context, mal-connotation and sheer ignorance the word has festered into something that is nothing less than a full blown ethnic slur. When Newfie is used freely by people other than Newfoundlanders in jokes and jest, problems are born. I know many proud Newfoundlanders disagree with my view on this subject, as its a part of our culture to laugh and not take ourselves too seriously... but I contest this notion wholehartedly. This word, the brunt of a gargantuant slew of insulting jokes, not only demeans our intelligence but diminishes our proud and unique culture. I rarely take a stand against many things in this world, partly because of my Newfoundland'ish qualities, an innocent unassuming individual knowing that the world is inherently a good place, but this is one issue I feel very strongly about.

It came as a shock recently when I looked up the term on Wikipedia. Its definition agrees with my opinion on the matter for the most part. The shock that I speak of is in refernce to its usage to describe mentally handicap people in Northern Alberta by police officers.

Newfie in essence is a simple bastardization of the word Newfoundlander, innocent enough in origin but festering with ethnic slander throughout the century. I ask anyone with pride in our beloved province to speak up and speak out against the term 'Newfie'. We may asscoiate it with our more redeeming qualities, but the majority of Canada seemingly doesnt. A newfie joke, is a transplanted humorous anecdote that has insulted other cultures/races/religions across the globe by equally ignoramous individuals... take pride and take a stance.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, you're passionate, smart, and cute.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never fail to amaze me so keep on doing it.
olf

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home